Adolescence By Day: I don't like ponies.

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I don't like ponies.

Alright, so a couple of months ago I was updating my MySpace, changing my layout and so on. I had just discovered The Bastard Fairies, so I put up one of their "advertisement" videos on my page (video in question: The Coolest 8 Year Old In The World Talks About O'Reilly) I personally thought it was fabulous (actually so did my mom when I showed it to her), even though there was some cursing. I didn't really care. As long as I wasn't repeating the "bad" words, there wasn't a problem. It wasn't anything worse than what I was hearing on South Park and Family Guy.

Before I go on, I'll give you some background on what my family is like. My mom and dad seperated a couple of months after we moved up here from Washington. I was really young, still a baby. I would see my dad maybe a couple of days a year up until about five years ago, when I would go see him in Seattle for a week or two (still only once a year). This was fine with me. I hadn't known anything else, so there wasn't anything to miss. Last year, he moved to Minnesota and married a woman he had known in high school (more on that in a later post). So now I go visit him there in the summer. If I get right down to it, I hate Minnesota. It's a very weird, creepy place to me. It seems like everyone is blond and tan and Republican there. Basically the complete opposite of what I'm used to. It's very odd to me. Like Stepford, or something.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. A couple of days ago, I got a call from my dad. He was not happy at all. Apparently the video was not appropriate viewing for his Little Princess. He didn't like all the "profanity". All right, I could get on board with that. I actually probably should have expected that. He asked me what I thought my grandmother would say if she saw that on my MySpace. I said that she probably wouldn't like that it swore a lot. Usually I don't really voice my opinion with my dad. He pretty much thinks that at thirteen I should be concerned with boys and makeup and I don't know...ponies, probably. I've probably shocked him by being interested in bands like Muse and feminism and politics. I think I know more about politics than him (he thought Obama was Muslim!). This time I just kind of snapped. I had to say something. So I then told him that she might be offended because most of our family is obsessively Republican and probably agrees with O'Reilly.

I really don't think I was disrespectful. I just want my dad to know that I have a mind, and I use it. I think it's awesome that I consider myself a feminist and want to know about the world that is outside my circle of family and friends. I just don't think he thinks it's awesome and that bothers me. Maybe I should just say that I want him to be proud of me, but that's not it. I think I just want him to know that I care about stuff other than the regular things that people think teenage girls care about. I'm sure I've rambled on enough already, so I'll stop. But I've just got to say.

I'm not a Little Princess, and I'm proud of it!!

1 comments:

Man, you got a good brain. Not that it matters necessarily, but I'd like you to know that:

a.) you are a very good writer. very clear.

b.) it takes guts to stand up to someone you love when you think they're doing something wrong, or they are misperceiving you, especially without cursing, being mean or otherwise letting yourself be negative, so you are brave.

*applause*

March 15, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home